Grind to Shine

Sunday, March 17, 2013

"The Second Coming"




I’m pretty sure we read and analyzed “The Second Coming” in class last year.  I can admit though that compared with now, I didn’t have a clue what the poem meant.  Today I can say that I am beginning to understand it.
The poem speaks of Yeats’ disappointment in society and its recent worldwide failings between 1910 and 1920.  In it, he uses his idea of a gyre to express the next coming of a new “god” or ruler.  It seems to him that this new ruler will not be a happy one. 
This poem really made me admire Yeats once I understood it more.  At first, after reading about Yeats’ automatic writing with his wife, I thought he was a little nuts.  I mean seriously, writing subconsciously? In his poems though, it is obvious that all his elements come together. 
            Do I agree with Yeats idea of gyres? Of course I don’t.  I don’t believe that every two thousand years a divine impregnation begins the process of a new ruler or leader being born.  The idea is just a little too crazy for me.  What isn’t crazy about the idea though, is a poet dealing with real-world and current issues.  To me, that is what qualifies an author, poet, artist, or anyone as great.  Anyone can talk about horses and meadows, but slipping real world issues into their work is what’s impressive, especially when they’re not saying

No comments:

Post a Comment